To receive a copy of my resume as a PDF, with references, please e-mail email@example.com
University of Oklahoma
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism; Minor, International Studies — Dec. 2010
— Los Angeles Times — Los Angeles, Calif. — September 2011- Present
• Staff Writer — Metro reporter who covered breaking and regional news, crime and courts and wrote enterprise features in California and beyond. Part of an award-winning investigative team reporting on state’s prescription drug epidemic; developed multimedia elements for project. Covered Los Angeles’ LGBT community, local development, deadly tornado outbreaks and earthquakes in Oklahoma, and the funerals of policemen killed by a rogue former police officer.
— Chicago Tribune — Chicago, Ill. — January – May 2011
• Metro Intern — Covered crime, breaking news and features. Covered a blizzard, profiled an aging powwow dancer and wrote about the astronomy department at the University of Chicago.
— New York Times — New York City, NY — Dec. 2007 – Dec. 2010
• National Stringer — Stringer reporter for National desk who covered Oklahoma breaking news and state politics from 2007 to 2010.
• Dow Jones News Fund Copy Editing Intern — Copy editing intern for Times’ National and Science desks in summer of 2009. Edited copy, wrote headlines and fact-checked stories.
— Houston Chronicle/Hearst — Washington, D.C. — Jan. – May 2009
• Washington Bureau Intern — Multimedia intern who covered the Texas delegation. Filed regular White House pool feeds and covered Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration and first hundred days. Produced video, photo galleries, blogs and front-page print stories.
— The Oklahoman — Oklahoma City, Okla. Summers 2008, 2010
• Projects Intern, 2010: Reported and produced award-winning multimedia project about the federal Superfund program in Oklahoma. Also covered state politics and political news.
• State Desk Intern, 2008: Covered breaking news and features across Oklahoma.
— Perry Daily Journal: Perry, Okla. Sept. 2003 – Aug. 2006
• Reporter/photographer/designer — Covered sports, features and breaking news and did page layout for 3,500-circulation daily, rural newspaper. Also worked on the press and did wax-and-paste page composition.
Honors, Awards and Fellowships
— Pulitzer Prizes 2016: Part of a Los Angeles Times team that won the Pulitzer Prize for breaking news for coverage of the San Bernardino terrorist attack
— SPJ Sigma Delta Chi Awards: Part of a Los Angeles Times team that won the 2015 Deadline Reporting award for coverage of the San Bernardino terrorist attack
— American Society of News Editors Awards 2016: Part of a Los Angeles Times team that was a finalist in Breaking News Writing for coverage of the San Bernardino terrorist attack
— German-American Fulbright Commission: 2014 Berlin Capital Program for young journalists
— Online Journalism Awards 2013: Member of L.A. Times team that was a finalist for Gannett Foundation Award for Watchdog Journalism for prescription drugs project
— Los Angeles Times Editorial Awards 2013: 2013 Editor’s Prize for Excellence
— Pictures of the Year International: Member of L.A. Times team that won 2013 Documentary Project of the Year for prescription drugs project
— Oklahoma Society of Professional Journalists: 1st place Science, Technology and Environmental Reporting, 2011; 1st place Personal Column 2009; 3rd place Government Reporting, 2009
— Fort Worth (Texas) SPJ: First Amendment Award 2011 for superfund project in The Oklahoman
— University of Oklahoma International Leadership in Media Project: Traveled to Dhaka, Bangladesh, and Islamabad, Pakistan, in 2010 to teach multimedia skills to female reporters
— Washington Center for Politics in Journalism — 2009 Helen Thomas Reporting Fellow
— Oklahoma City Gridiron Club — Outstanding Female Collegiate Journalism Student, 2007, 2008, 2009